UNCOVERED INTERVIEWS: Rosie Blake


Rosie Blake's debut novel, How to Get a (Love) Life, is out now - and it's a fantastic read (not to mention hilarious - review coming soon!) Of course, we couldn't wait to speak to Rosie and find out more about the novel, which focuses on heroine Nicola who takes on a challenge to find love before Valentine's Day.

Tell us about your latest novel in 15 words or less.
Nicola Brown dared to get a (love) life by Valentine's Day. Cue ensuing madness. Whoop! (I had a spare word).

What inspired you to write How to Get a (Love) Life?
*pictures self in a field of daisies bursting with writerly inspiration* In truth, I had been on so many horrific dates that made "great copy" that I thought: "The world should hear of these horrendous men so it can LOL over my misfortune."

Where do you do most of your writing?
Ha, ha, do you want the truth or the lie? I like to think of myself in a writer's paradise – flowers on every polished surface, the muse floating around on a candle-scented breeze, but in reality, I write in tracksuit bottoms while sitting on my sofa trying not to spill crumbs on the laptop.

What is your favourite book?
Unfair question. When I realised I wanted to write comic novels, I was particularly inspired by books like Are you Experienced by William Sutcliffe, Yes Man by Danny Wallace and, of course, the fabulous Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding. They all made me chuckle.

Which part of How to Get a (Love) Life did you enjoy writing the most?
I loved some of the minor characters and most of the scenes with Mark, her bat-obsessed brother, were some my faves. And the kayak scene. Need I say more…?

Who is your favourite literary heroine?
I have a few at the moment. *does intense fan girl face* I am currently stalking, I mean admiring, Hannah Richell. Her books Secret of the Tides and The Shadow Year have kept me completely gripped.

Do you have any tips for readers who are looking to become published writers?
It's the age-old tip – keep going. I have written for around 10 years – four in earnest – and have numerous short stories, novels and articles in various drawers. Gradually, I noticed I started to be placed in competitions as I practised and picked up tips from others.

Thanks, Rosie!

You can find out more about Rosie Blake at her website, or by following her on Twitter (@RosieBBooks)

No comments