UNCOVERED INTERVIEWS: Amy Smolcic

Someone Like You is the recently-released, debut novel from Australian author Amy Smolcic. We wanted to find out more about student Amy and the inspiration behind Someone Like You - so on with the questions!

Tell us about your latest novel in 15 words or less.
A supermodel and aspiring rockstar are challenged whether their love grows when they’re living apart.

What inspired you to write Someone Like You?
I randomly stumbled across a documentary called Picture Me. It’s about the inner world of modeling, in particularly the dark stuff that happens. It was interesting to see the challenges models go through. We assume they live glamorous lives when in reality they get paid poorly, get little sleep, and get exploited by the people who created them.

Where do you do most of your writing?
This is going to sound naughty, but I wrote a lot of my book in class. In lectures I would find a seat in the corner in the back row of the room so I wouldn’t get caught writing.

What is your favourite book?
I love Paige Toon’s stuff, all her books are perfect! Chasing Daisy is my favourite though.

Which part of  Someone Like You did you enjoy writing the most?
I enjoyed writing my second draft and every draft after. The first draft is always the skeleton. The second draft is where all the details are added. Plus, I felt less pressure writing the second draft as I had a finished story, it just needed to be tweaked

Who is your favourite literary heroine?
I always thought Angela Clark from Lindsey Kelk’s I Heart… series was awesome. She’s Fiery, witty and funny – the perfect trio.

Do you have any tips for readers who are looking to become published writers?
Aspiring writers should always keep writing! It’s easy to stop when you run out of ideas, but you can’t. If you ever get stuck, leave it, and start writing something else.

Are you working on anything else at the moment and if so, can you tell us?
I’m currently working on my second novel, Playing the Game. It’s a standalone novel from Someone Like You. I’m having a lot of fun writing it and should be ready to be published in early 2015.

Thanks, Amy!

You can find out more about Amy Smolcic and Someone Like You on Twitter and Goodreads.

Someone Like You by Amy Smolcic
She has walked on the catwalks of every major designer and earned enough money to live comfortably for ten lifetimes. Country girl, Chloe Jackson, has hit it big. 

However, all that glitters isn't gold and beneath the lights and glamour is a dark world.

Jaeger Colton dreams of greatness. He and his band relocated to New York City with the hope of making it big. But with their record contract being cancelled, his dream has been put on hold. With the disappointment, will he chase the dream he desperately wants?

When their worlds collide, can Jaeger help Chloe pick up the pieces? Or, will it be up to Chloe to transform her broken life?

No comments