UNCOVERED INTERVIEWS: Julia Wilmot

Julia Wilmot's novel, Where Is Emma Butler's Life Plan?, is a chick-lit story with a spiritual twist, in which a guardian is tasked in helping Emma complete her life's tasks. Julia joined us for the weekly Q&A to find out more!

Tell us about your latest novel in 15 words or less.
It’s chick lit with a spiritual twist. Angels get involved with humorous consequences. God Watches!

What inspired you to write Where is Emma Butler's Life Plan?
I really wanted to explore spiritual ideas in a very easily accessible way and this story allowed me to cover many different ideas that I had. I love the idea that we have guardian angels helping us make progress in our lives but I also enjoyed injecting a bit of humour into the concept.

Where do you do most of your writing?
I’m very lucky that I have a study at home where I do my writing. But occasionally I will decamp to a local coffee shop with my computer if I need a change of scene. Then I eavesdrop on people’s conversations and make notes!

What is your favourite book?
Oh that’s a really tough one. There are so many books that I love. I suppose one that stays with me is “Love in the time of Cholera’ by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. But more recently I really loved ‘The Hundred Year-Old Man who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared' by Jonas Jonasson.

Which part of Where is Emma Butler's Life Plan did you enjoy writing the most?
Although they are quite brief, the bits I really loved writing the most were God’s insights at the end of each chapter. I hope I didn't do him a disservice.

Who is your favourite literary heroine?
Someone who I love to come back to time and time again is Mma Ramotswe from the Alexander McCall Smith series of The No1 Ladies’ Detective Agency books. She is sensible, clever and the style of the writing is delightful.

Do you have any tips for readers who are looking to become published writers?
Well, I self-published and I’m really enjoying having the control over my book. I instructed a professional cover designer and loved what he came up with and I am enjoying working on promoting my book. I think a very important thing to remember in all this, whether it’s your editor, designer or just your friends' feedback - at the end of the day it is all just one person’s opinion and if you really feel strongly about something you should stick to your guns.

Are you working on anything else at the moment and if so, can you tell us?
(Also, if you have any website/Twitter links that you wish to be included, please add these.)
I am currently working on my second book. It is still early days and also has a spiritual aspect to it, but it’s not a sequel. I write a regular blog at justjulias.com on spiritual matters, inspiring stories, random thoughts, natural living, theatre and books.

Thanks, Julia!

You can find out more about Julia Wilmot and her books over at her blog.

Where Is Emma Butler's Life Plan? by Julia Wilmot
Emma Butler doesn’t know it but she is about to get bit more angelic help than she was banking on. Someone has messed up, or have they? It appears that Emma is about to be ‘recalled’ to heaven but has completed none of the tasks she had set herself for this life time. They must be completed before she is recalled and time is running out. Arch Angel Gregory decides to take over. He will be her Guardian Angel to ensure it all gets done. There’s a lot to do and a very short time to do it in. Gregory is determined that it will all be completed by hook or by crook. But where does that leave free will and what about Jack who has been chosen to be Emma’s love interest? How will this impact him? Jack and Emma have no idea what is going on, but it’s not going to be plain sailing.

No comments