THRILLERS: Viral by Helen Fitzgerald

With so many new and upcoming thrillers this year, it's difficult not to report on them, right? Exactly. As a fan of thrillers, I'll be including more on Uncovered over the coming months. One that has particularly caught my attention this week is Viral by Helen Fitzgerald, which will be published in early February. What if the worst thing you did went viral? Helen explores the darker side to social media, a side in which a drunken mistake can be viewed by everyone within minutes...

So far, twenty-three thousand and ninety six people have seen me online. They include my mother, my father, my little sister, my grandmother, my other grandmother, my grandfather, my boss, my sixth year Biology teacher and my boyfriend James.

When Leah Doyle and her adopted sister Su go on holiday together to Magaluf to celebrate their A-levels, only Leah returns home. Her successful, swotty sister remains abroad, humiliated and afraid: there is an online video of her, drunkenly performing a sex act in a nightclub. And everyone has seen it.

Jennifer Doyle, mother of the girls, successful court judge, is furious. How could this have happened? How can she bring justice to these men who took advantage of her dutiful, virginal daughter? What role has Leah played in all this? And can Jennifer find Su and bring her back home when Su doesn't want to be found?

No comments