UNCOVERED INTERVIEWS: Lucy Woodhull

Joining us this week is Lucy Woodhull, author of the wonderfully funny novel, 667 Ways to F*ck Up My Life. It's a witty, hilarious novel about twenty-something Dag, whose life takes a strange turn when she swaps her overly-responsible life for a series of fuck-ups.

Tell us about your latest novel in 15 words or less.
Goody-two-shoes
Uh oh:  jerks
Middle finger
Fuck up yay!
Uh oh:  again
WIN!

What inspired you to write 667 Ways to Fuck Up My Life?
Both my BFF and I have had some hard times beyond our control on and off in the last five years or so, and we would often observe that the more horrible the person, the more they seemed to win.  Assholes finish first, right?  We'd joke around that, in order to improve our luck, we ought to trip a puppy or something.  Now, of course, we would never!  We are very pro-puppy.  But it was kinda funny to think about just...giving up.  Not trying anymore to be perfect and good and responsible, because bad shit happens anyway.  That's where the book came from--the question of what would happen when a nice lady flips the finger at life?  It was very fun to execute, bwahahahaha! (<-- evil laugh)

Where do you do most of your writing?
On the couch at home.  My husband jokes that I will, some day, sink into the cushions, never to be seen again.  But I do take walks and stuff.  Does to the fridge count?

What is your favourite book?
A Room With a View by E. M. Forster.  It's got love, humor, satire, sexy Italians, wayward old ladies--anything you could ask for!  In fact, there are two chapter titles in 667 Ways to F*ck Up My Life that are Easter eggs for any A Room With a View fan.

Which part of 667 Ways to Fuck Up My Life did you enjoy writing the most?
(mild spoiler) I think the scene in which Dagmar gains success and revenge on her jerk ex-boss held the most fantasy fulfillment for me.  Everyone has that one boss you'd love to give what for.  The second most would be when she tried to seduce Hunter the Broista.  I've worn pleather.  It's not okay.

Who is your favourite literary heroine?
Amelia Peabody!  "Another shirt ruined!"  Fans of Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series will get that--she's a Victorian Feminist Egyptologist with a seriously hot, also Feminist, husband.  They solve mysteries and hunt for treasures and are generally awesome.  I think Amelia taught me to expect a lot from a spouse--to expect true respect, without which, there cannot be real love.  I credit Elizabeth Peters for teaching me to hold out for my own amazing husband!  She was a fascinating woman in her own right, and I cried when she passed in the last couple of years.  I urge anyone to read these books--they're fun and funny!

Do you have any tips for readers who are looking to become published writers?
I say write first and foremost.  Find your voice, find the stories that make you dance with glee to get onto paper.  Do a bunch of that, and then learn the "rules" of writing.  I think establishing what make you the unique and amazing writer you are is the most important thing, because the business and the rules will kinda try to beat that out of you.  The marketplace can be narrow.  But the more you know yourself and your own style, the more you'll be able to take some advice and leave the rest.  I've been told by more than one authority that I'm too weird, I'm too funny (I don't think they meant it in the nice way!), and I'm too different.  And that may be so.  But damn it, I'm me, and it only took one yes to set me on my path.  If you love who you are and what you write, then a thousand no's cannot take that joy away from you.  All you can control is the work, so love it.  Love yourself and advocate for yourself as you grow and learn...and the yes-es will follow!

Are you working on anything else at the moment and if so, can you tell us?
This winter, I plan to release Super Forty, the tale of a forty-year-old divorced, barren, and penniless superheroine!  She lives with her parents, and wears sensible shoes and pajamas as her super outfit.  I am SO excited to release this book!  I got a little waylaid by buying a house (whee!!), but as soon as the literal dust settles, I'm going to finish editing and release it.  The theme of all my books boils down to wanting women to realize that we're all freaking superheroines, no matter how many lemons we've had pelted at our heads.  Super Forty is the book of my heart, and I can't wait for Shannon, the world's unlikeliest superheroine, to make her debut.  Her special power will make you laugh, I guarantee it.

Thanks, Lucy!

You can find out more about Lucy at her website, Facebook, or by following her on Twitter.

667 Ways to F*ck Up My Life by Lucy Woodhull

Twenty-something Dag has always been the ‘perfect’ woman. Responsible, honest to a fault, hard-working. Even her bras are no-nonsense. And for what? Her boyfriend dumps her for being boring, and her boss fires her for not sucking on his nether regions to get promoted. What’s a perfectionist overachiever to do? A complete one-eighty.

To heck with rules—Dag orchestrates a spectacular fall from grace by ruining her life exactly six-hundred-sixty-six times, and finally has a little naughty fun. Some scandalous Spandex and a few bar lies later, tame little Dagmar becomes Giselle, ballsy siren.

The wild thing is…it works! Dag gets a better job and meets the sexiest man she’s ever known. Well, Giselle meets him. Dagmar doesn’t exist. Except that she does, and her escapades just became a ticking time bomb, one that might blow her heart to smithereens.

Join Dag for her irresistible and hilarious fuck-ups, because every good girl needs to inject a little bad girl sizzle into her veins.

No comments